NZ Blackout Rugby Offsite Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» What's Going On Here?
by SmellyStuff Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:21 am

» Season 37 General Discussion
by robelix Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:47 pm

» Season 36 General Discussion
by chewy Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:35 pm

» Super Rugby 2018: Or Why It's Going To Be The Year Of The Highlanders Bitches
by tryasta Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:06 pm

» Season 35 General Discussion
by Bren Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:19 am

» Season 34 General Discussion
by donkeysaint Wed May 16, 2018 5:49 am

» Best All Black Team Since 1995 (the professional era)
by Bren Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:05 pm

» NT Player List
by simon71 Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:14 pm

» BR Ranfurly Shield
by ivelostmysparky Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:33 pm

Statistics
We have 108 registered users
The newest registered user is Bedswerver

Our users have posted a total of 8125 messages in 147 subjects

A new position in NZ: newbies caretaker

+5
simon71
gimping
razorbladeYfronts
ivelostmysparky
tryasta
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A new position in NZ: newbies caretaker Empty A new position in NZ: newbies caretaker

Post by tryasta Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:42 pm

Hello all,

I have been thinking about it lately. What would you all think about a position designated to take care of newbies? Last season I proposed a competition dedicated to them and the emerging clubs in the NZI was created.

I think we can better that. What would you think if a manager specifically took ownership of the tasks of teaching, mentoring, advising, etc... to the newbies?

The idea behind is to give us some strength at the base, because at the top we are already quite strong, but the new managers... perhaps we are not as successful as with the top ones.
tryasta
tryasta
Superior

Back to top Go down

A new position in NZ: newbies caretaker Empty Re: A new position in NZ: newbies caretaker

Post by ivelostmysparky Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:11 am

This sounds like a job for someone who was recently a newbie themselves.
ivelostmysparky
ivelostmysparky
Grand

Back to top Go down

A new position in NZ: newbies caretaker Empty Re: A new position in NZ: newbies caretaker

Post by tryasta Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:13 am

Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad

Actually it sounds like the job for someone who wants to get people involved in NZ
tryasta
tryasta
Superior

Back to top Go down

Post by ivelostmysparky Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:37 am

Sounds like a job for razor. The guy is begging for kiwi attention and I'm sure this would inflate his ego nicely.
ivelostmysparky
ivelostmysparky
Grand

Back to top Go down

Post by tryasta Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:56 am

I would not count with razor unless we talk about players like

Richie McCawasakaga
Tana Umaganoki
Sitivenu Sivivatuyaku
tryasta
tryasta
Superior

Back to top Go down

Post by razorbladeYfronts Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:01 am

ivelostmysparky wrote:Sounds like a job for razor. The guy is begging for kiwi attention and I'm sure this would inflate his ego nicely.

Yadda yadda, one comment about an international news story that you should have recognized as a laugh at Smith and the press in general and I'm begging for kiwi attention. Acting like this I'd say you'd make a decent effort at being one of those sensationalist "churnalists" you're so keen to despise.

P.S. You've as much ego as anyone on BR too sparky, each has their own form of expression. High horses and all that. tongue

razorbladeYfronts
Impressive

Back to top Go down

Post by ivelostmysparky Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:10 am

Comments on the non-rugby Chiefs, Smith, and Carter incidents, constantly harassing chewy over some innocuous comment. Fuck all else. Yeah I'd say you're a full time anti-kiwi troll.

You're clearly not interested in helping out newbie kiwis, so how about joining the NZI comp? I've looked for anything to prove that you are not a full-time anti-kiwi troll and yet to find anything.
ivelostmysparky
ivelostmysparky
Grand

Back to top Go down

Post by razorbladeYfronts Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:56 pm

ivelostmysparky wrote:Comments on the non-rugby Chiefs, Smith, and Carter incidents,

What's the problem with that? It's what was in the news. Did I pass judgement on them? No.

Do you want me to comment on Suzie? Ok, well it was probably true in some way. NZ would have won but for foul play. There.

And the battle of Nantes was a disgrace with half the French team buzzing on amphetamines. It was a disgrace and the NZ team were right to feel they'd been cheated.

I love Christian Cullen, maybe I should have mentioned him instead of Blanco in a previous comment. If you want I can edit it.

I do think the Haka gives an unfair advantage for a game but without it the money wouldn't have come into the sport. All square.

ivelostmysparky wrote:constantly harassing chewy over some innocuous comment.

Poor guy. And innocouos my arse. This had been building over two seasons but if you want to cannonize him go ahead. It came to a head because of obvious double-standards and then duplicitious high-horsery, both of which deserve a come-back. I never get into any argument without reason, demonstrable reason. Harassing though, that's a mental thing to say. And what does this have to do with anything NZ? It's irrelevant to any point you may be trying to look at regardless. The mist is affecting your judgement, happens to us all so I'll let you off with this one.

ivelostmysparky wrote:Fuck all else. Yeah I'd say you're a full time anti-kiwi troll.

Madness, when did this sentiment first crop up and what basis did you first have? Also, why have you waited so long if there's evidently no other reason for me to be here since the beginning of S27? Where has my alleged anti-kiwi sentiment popped up in 7 (seven) years of playing, surely it would have surfaced and been obvious by now? Find it and you can bring out the rack.

ivelostmysparky wrote:You're clearly not interested in helping out newbie kiwis, so how about joining the NZI comp? I've looked for anything to prove that you are not a full-time anti-kiwi troll and yet to find anything.

I've spoken to others about the NZI. I joined in S27 but you didn't run it. I joined last year even though I was scaling down and didn't want to play in other tournaments because I was sick of playing, but I still joined, and the quad-nations to represent NZ. I've given reasons to others via Pm (auis, tryasta, bren, probably others) as to why I didn't want to put my name up and then pull out because I was ditching the team, same for the CCs. The first season I wasn't given a game even though I put my name down. This is all demonstrable. As for newbies, you're right, like 99% of players I'm not that interested at the moment, neither am I interested with the oldies. However, unlike 99% of the game I have put my time into helping others directly. Why should they suddenly have to be NZers? And this makes me anti-NZ? Crazy talk.

You're projecting. You're seeing what you want to see because probably there was one spark that tipped you. But, you are completely wrong. You are acting very irrationally here too if I may say so. Maybe if you asked the right questions you'd get some very pleasing answers but I'm not going to anticipate them for you. First though, you need to thrash out the difference between a troll and someone just throwing stuff out there as I was. Remember, I'm a newbie here but I'm not one that'll just sit in the corner and take a lecture from a high-horse. I've been around the block far too often for that.

Just one last thing, why did you not try to stay on in NZ instead of going off to Poland? Now I think I see why you're going the way you are. This is definite projection. Because you moved off and believe you contributed (more than I have supposedly done here) you think I should be doing so here. You do believe I only came here for the points. I came here for a couple of reasons, yes, one of them being the points, but the story is much longer. I also came for a rest, break, then return with more energy. I thought this place might be fun. Even take a shot at a rep position after a break. One of the first things I did was to commit to training (you forgot about that one, didn't you?). The chewy incident may have turned opinions but I don't give a shit, whatever my methods I was right to butt heads. Ego is a strange thing, and choosing not to see all sides and possibilities just so you can step up on a moral cushion is just as bad as any other pride. You're a very proud guy sparky, maybe it's mostly well-placed, but you do have an obtuse side too (as most of us) which limits you. I'm no saint, but I'm no full-time anti anything either (except abrahamism, but that's for another day).

But hey, now I'm lecturing. Your mind is your own.

razorbladeYfronts
Impressive

Back to top Go down

Post by tryasta Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:30 pm

I don't know what prompted this reaction from any of you two, but I am surprised. I will take it on my shoulders to deal with the newbies. It is not that we have too many anyway.
tryasta
tryasta
Superior

Back to top Go down

Post by gimping Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:34 pm

Fucks sake. CBF reading that. Just call each other cunts and be done with it.

Tryasta you legend! Could fit nicely with your blog
gimping
gimping
Sumptuous

Back to top Go down

Post by simon71 Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:04 pm

gimping wrote:Fucks sake. CBF reading that. Just call each other cunts and be done with it

+1
simon71
simon71
Impressive

Super Rugby Team : Crusaders

Back to top Go down

Post by ivelostmysparky Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:14 pm

Sorry for ruining your thread tryasta. You deserve better. For some reason it is extremely difficult to get people involved in BR. They sign up for the NZI and may log in nearly every day, yet you'll never see them in the BR clubrooms. It has been like this for at least 10 seasons. No idea why.
ivelostmysparky
ivelostmysparky
Grand

Back to top Go down

Post by simon71 Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:28 pm

I was one such newbie once, didn't sign up to the nzi though because I didnt know how. Just look at my trophy cabinet, there's a whole row of league trophies before I won any cc ones or anything.
For me the reason was simply that I didn't really know how to work the Internet, didn't have Internet at home until I was about 17...
I didn't even pay the club rooms any attention at all until gimping started playing and told me about them... wouldn't have even noticed the clubrooms existed haha
simon71
simon71
Impressive

Super Rugby Team : Crusaders

Back to top Go down

Post by tryasta Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:52 pm

ivelostmysparky wrote:Sorry for ruining your thread tryasta. You deserve better. For some reason it is extremely difficult to get people involved in BR. They sign up for the NZI and may log in nearly every day, yet you'll never see them in the BR clubrooms. It has been like this for at least 10 seasons. No idea why.

How dare you? I will only forgive you if you qualify for the Pizza Shield playoffs and make me virtually rich in Bren's dollars Smile Smile Smile Smile
tryasta
tryasta
Superior

Back to top Go down

Post by ivelostmysparky Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:11 pm

Ah yes, the battle for 4th place between myself and Simon to see who earns the right to get smacked around by IT or Batman in the Pizza SF. Stars will be nearly identical so it should be close. However Simon has to win with a BP and deny me a BP due to the tie-breaker being try differential.
ivelostmysparky
ivelostmysparky
Grand

Back to top Go down

Post by gimping Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:15 pm

tryasta wrote:I will take it on my shoulders to deal with the newbies.  It is not that we have too many anyway.

What help do you need? I no longer own a functional computer but I can try give you some help if required.
gimping
gimping
Sumptuous

Back to top Go down

Post by tryasta Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:24 pm

I am thinking what could be done to ease out what simon71 just highlighted: the difficult begin in BR.

Ideas:
- Welcome package. Proactive email offering advice, mentoring, help...
- Organization of dedicated tournaments only for newbies (3 to 4 teams to create bonds between them, give out trophies).
- Creation of forums to talk about such tournaments.
- Introduction to u20 and NT teams. Training of players, u20 training theories as optimized by donkeysaint, training costs, use of facilities...

What do I need? I don't know. I have a goal (more managers involved in NZ) and I have some ideas. For the moment, I could use some ideas by others... I am happy to do all the dirty stuff (find them, mail them, organize dedicated tournaments, open threads, offer help and mentoring...) but I do really need help with ideas and things that could hook them in.
tryasta
tryasta
Superior

Back to top Go down

Post by gimping Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:43 pm

Possibly highlighting the two options when beginning BR, ie investment in facilities initially and buying players later or visa versa.

Brief ME explanation including rng

I think what got me hooked along with my inner nerd is seeing how different skills affected star ratings in match reports and how training improved them. I also at one stage found an intro to BR on an external forum written by an aussie that had some great tips
gimping
gimping
Sumptuous

Back to top Go down

Post by tryasta Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:50 pm

What I found annoying is that most of the guides I found (back in the day) were written in the prehistoric age. For example, I recall someone said:

"buy yourself a lock first off. A good one, 25K CSR or more if you can afford it."

And guess what? I did just that. jocolor jocolor jocolor

So I think something could be improved in terms of beginner's guide Smile
tryasta
tryasta
Superior

Back to top Go down

Post by Bren Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:50 pm

I had a scheme early on brewing in my head that I never got around to implementing (too lazy).

Basically, check the new arrivals page on a regular basis and sead a standard email to every newcomer.

Something like Hi! Welcome to BRNZ, check out the clubrooms, check out the offsite, sign up for the NZI next season, feel free to ask me any questions or ask away on the offsite.... etc....

Keep a txt file on your desktop with the message and it wouldn't take too long to do. Try to make people feel welcome, that they can understand the game, much more likely to stay.

The other part of the plan was a friendly competition targeted at Newbies that kicked off at different times in the season. i.e. week 1, week 6, week 12, something like that. Didn't really have to be a fixed thing just something that reacted to the demand. Idea being, that a newbie that joins in week 4 can join a competition fairly quickly. Important when your main competition is bots.

@Tryasta let me know if you'd like any forums made on this site.
Bren
Bren
Grand

Super Rugby Team : Highlanders

Back to top Go down

Post by tryasta Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:54 pm

Bren wrote:
The other part of the plan was a friendly competition targeted at Newbies that kicked off at different times in the season. i.e. week 1, week 6, week 12, something like that. Didn't really have to be a fixed thing just something that reacted to the demand. Idea being, that a newbie that joins in week 4 can join a competition fairly quickly. Important when your main competition is bots.

Everything you said was in my head, but it is astonishing that I had an idea very similar to this one, too. I think the possibility to create tournaments on demand for them would really be helpful.
tryasta
tryasta
Superior

Back to top Go down

Post by ivelostmysparky Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:43 pm

Ok so looking through Div 4, many leagues are "full" with 4 humans and the newest team got added to a div with only 1 manager. Therefore any guides written should be focussed on the assumption that a newbie would be placed in a league with ~2 other humans. Some leagues only have clubs with around ~50k CSR, others have some ~100k or even 200k+ teams. This has changed so much since I was a newbie I really think Tryasta would be the best person for the job here, or at least leading the project.

There was a player position guide written by Valley6 who used to be a newbie mentor of sorts. But so much of it would be subjective. I would stick to the basics and let the manager make up his own mind for most of it. I had loads of fun trying out players in different position until I found some things that worked. Yet maybe most newbies would want some guidance too? Would something simple like this be appreciated?

e.g. Hooker
Ideal height: Under 185 cm. Does not jump in the lineout so being tall is not needed.
Ideal weight: Over 100 kg, ideally over 110 kg.
Ideal aggression: Doesn't matter. Psychotic is best, but this makes very little difference.
Ideal discipline: Flawless or controlled. Reckless, or especially rebellious is not advised.
Key skills: Handling, stamina, technique, strength, defence.
Secondary skills: attack, speed, agility.
Not needed: Jumping, kicking.

On the newbie comp, I think it would be useful due to so many bots in div 4 leagues. Again things have changed so much since I was a newbie at the end of S6. I was placed in Div 5, finished 2nd, and was promoted to Div 4. There I had to deal with teams founded in Div 1, and 2 teams were actively managed and were constantly getting stronger. Therefore I didn't feel the need for a newbie competition because the league gave me plenty of excitement and competitiveness only after a month after I signed up.
ivelostmysparky
ivelostmysparky
Grand

Back to top Go down

Post by donkeysaint Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:46 pm

I like the dynamic tournament approach. The idea could even be expanded on to include similar time zone nations, like Pacific Islands and Australia. The more newbies we can hook into staying the better, regardless of nation, and it will help to get numbers up so that we actually can create multiple mini tournaments during a season.
donkeysaint
donkeysaint
Grand

Back to top Go down

Post by tryasta Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:48 am

There are 102 managers with teams in IV division that signed up in 2016 (I didn't want to add Jeremy in the list of newbies Wink)
Of those, about 60-70% are one clickers.
Of all the rest, there are still 12 active.
My goal is to keep those 12 in the game.

(The above means around 30 were not one clickers but have lost interest and no longer play)
tryasta
tryasta
Superior

Back to top Go down

Post by tryasta Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:54 am

ivelostmysparky wrote:Yeah I'd say you're a full time anti-kiwi troll.

I asked @razorbladeyfronts to join the 3N Community Challenge. I did it because I wanted to win the challenge. I wrote every single manager in Division I.1 and asked them to join.

He joined the challenge. I owe it to him to acknowledge he did it to help NZ. It's not as if he was training players as hard as bobily or lukedukekiwi do, true. But I think this at least means he's less than full time anti-kiwi troll. 99% at most Razz Razz
tryasta
tryasta
Superior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum